The comfort of sleeping on crisp sheets
There are many types of bedsheet fabrics. Some are eucalyptus, linen, and microfiber to flannel, sateen, and cotton. Cotton crisp sheets are soft and breathable. They do not need ironing and seems “fresh made bed” all the time. Cotton is so far the most preferred type of sheet for its durability. Those with sensitive skin opt for cotton.
Best quality sheets use a cloth with extra-long fiber that gives the fabric strength. Higher the thread count, softer is the fabric, and it will get softer with time and wear well. Higher thread count are superior than less thread count sheets but the later is good as well. The most crucial factor is the fabric having long staple. Long staple yarn makes the fabric soft and comfortable. Egyptian cotton and Supima are the best thin, crisp sheets in the market. With all these benefits of cotton sheets, a good night sleep leads to the dreamland.
Types of crisp sheets available
Sheets play a vital role after mattresses. There are many sheets available on the market. Sheets with higher thread count is softer than lower thread count. Cotton sheets give crisp texture and hotel-like luxury.
These are of fine threads giving a soft, smooth and flexible texture. The length of the fiber is very long, with no compromise with the strength of the material. It is most famous for better absorption capacity. It is the best and most luxurious fabric for long-lasting crisp sheets. Cotton Percale – these are sturdy fabric, weaved one over others. It gives thick, smooth, and robust material.
The long staple fiber in this material provides its strength, softness, and lasting color. Supima derives from the words “supreme” and “Pima.”
These have a combination of high absorption and softness. Intake is less than that of Egyptian cotton, which allows efficient drying.
Most popular bedsheets in the market
When you are spending one-third of your day in bed, you will go for luxury. There is nothing compared to good sleep in a crisp hotel-like sheet. The most popular brands are as follows.
The Chateau Home Collection sheets
These are thick and heavy, more luxurious giving hotel-like feel. The fabric is 100% Egyptian cotton.
Brooklinen Classic Core
These are lightweight cotton percale, giving the crisp, breathable and relaxed feel. It is best for good night sleep.
Macy’s Hotel Collection Sheets
These are 100% Supima cotton sheets giving the luxurious hotel-like feel.
Cifelli Home OrganicPro
These certified as 100% organic Turkish cotton, durable, and soft.
L.L.Bean 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale Sheet Set
These percale sheets give a fresh, crisp feel. They are breathable, comfortable, and at a reasonable price.
Snowe Percale Sheet Set
These are like L.L.Bean but softer, cooler and crispier and closer to high-end sheets.
The proper washing method for crisp sheets
For a complete cleaning and sanitizing you will need hot water or even bleach. Fabric label gives the appropriate washing instruction. Here are a few tips to follow:
- Wash every week – wash sheets at least once a week.
- Treat your stains before wash – treat any pre-stains before the wash with a stain remover.
- Do not overload washing machine – sheets need space for proper circulation.
- Use good detergent and hot water – use a mild soap to refrain fabric discoloration.
- Liquid detergents give a better result.
- Avoid mixing ammonia with bleach – it creates a chemical reaction and harmful for the fabric. It’s better to use a natural ingredient such as lemon juice.
- Select the right machine cycle – you need to select the ideal temperature for sheet fabric and wash cycle. Too hot water weakens the fiber.
- Take out wet sheets from laundry to smell fresh – linens must be out of the machine as soon as the washing completes.
- Dry sheets until almost dried as it lays on bed flat– do not over dry the fabric as it gets wrinkled. It is better to have them a little damp to lay on flat without ironing.
- You may iron your sheets
- Keep them folded until next use
Tips to keep crisp sheets longer
- Read your instruction label – Read the instruction label and follow. Keep it safe somewhere to look back again when needed.
- Wash it in cold or lukewarm water
- Avoid overdrying
- Iron pillowcases for he crisp look
- Maintain three sets of bedsheets – To keep the fresh look on your bed, you must have at least three bedsheets. One sheet on the bed, the second in laundry and the third in your shelf. Washing is done once a week, and you rotate your sheets in a cycle. Your sheets need proper storage, regular laundry, and maintenance.
- Use fabric softener
- Brighten your sheets with oxygen bleach
Tricks used by hotels for crisp sheets
Hotel beds look neat because of the smooth flat texture without creases. Our beds seem messy and untidy due to a big wrinkle in the middle. To overcome this, spray a little tap water on the crinkles of almost-made bed and let the corners be out. Shake the top layer until the creases settle. Then tug the comforter tight, and your bed is ready and tidy.
Cotton sheets are the best fabric for comfort and maintenance. There are many types of cotton sheets and brands. You need to wash your sheets with proper technique and follow the tips to maintain crisp sheets. Tricks used by hotels are worth a try for your sheets.